CWM (ClockWorkMode) recovery is a very famous custom recovery mode for android phones, developed by Koushik “Koush” Dutta.
CWM (ClockWorkMode) recovery is a very famous custom recovery mode for android phones, developed by Koushik “Koush” Dutta. It is a replacement for stock recovery mode which is usually the basic recovery mode for android phones that comes with very basic features, that are :-
- reboot system now – to restart your android device with basic functions.
- wipe data/factory reset – to format all saved data and to reset all data on your android device.
- wipe cache partition – to wipe all the temporary system data.
- apply update from sd card – to install official firmware zip from sd card.
These are very basic and limited features, to explore into a newly exposed world of your android device you must install CWM recovery that comes with tonns of features like :-
- Nandroid backup – Nandroid backups is used to restore your device to an exact state.
- advanced update zip – to install any custom ROM zipped file.
- browsing option to choose files.
- changes device’s primary operating system.
- flash any custom ROM.
- and much more…
CWM recovery can be accessed by turning your phone off, then triggering the bootloader promt. Bootloader promt can be triggered by holding device buttons like volume up, volume down etc which is dependent on the device.
How to install CWM recovery on your android phone
Installing ClockWorkMode recovery to your device is quite easy. Here I’m sharing two methods to install CWM recovery. After installing CWM recovery, you can press volume down or volume up to navigate and power button to select any option.
Install CWM with ROM Manager (without PC) –It is the official way to install CWM recovery to your device, it requires a pre-rooted device, download “ROM Manager” apk from play store, use ROM Manager to install latest CWM recovery for your device, reboot into stock recovery and choose “re-install package” two times to temporary load CWM recovery. You can checkout the full tutorial here – Install CWM Recovery without PC
- With Odin ( Works best for Samsung Android devices) –Tested on Samsung Galaxy Grand Quattro
- Download Odin v 3.07 on your PC, download Odin v 3.07 .
- Download CWM recovery (.tar) file, download CWM Recovery v 220.127.116.11
- Turn on USB debugging ( settings > developer options > turn on USB debugging).
- Run Odin v 3.07 as an administrator.
- Switch off your device, go to download mode (volume down + home screen button+ power button), then press volume up to continue and connect to your PC.
- When Odin recognize your device, click PDA option and navigate to the CWM recovery (.tar) file where you have downloaded it.
- Select CWM recovery file and hit START.
- As soon as your device starts rebooting, unplug your device and remove the battery of your device.
- Now you can access CWM recovery by pressing volume down +home screen button + power button.
Accessing CWM Recovery :-
- For Samsung Phones – volume plus +home screen button + power button. Also read- How to root your Samsung android phone
- For most of the Sony Xperia Phones – when LED light turns pink, press volume down or volume plus a couple of times.
- For HTC Phones – pressing volume down and power button combination.
- For other Smart Phones – can be accessed by similar manner.